Thursday 29 September 2011

Prelude to an MBA

What's up KD? I hope this message finds you well! It's been a long time since we last spoke. As the movie says, it has been one long, crazy summer. But, I am doing well, lots of change, but overall doing quite well.


Well, I can't believe it, but this is going to be my last quarter in the KD program. I finish up my MBA this coming November... Can you believe it? It has been quite the ride. Let's see, since I started in the program, I have:

· Changed jobs twice, and careers.

· Changed foci - from dual degree to Ph.D., to just finishing off the MBA.

· Moved three times!!!

· Changed life plans too many times to count.


So, as you can see, it has been quite the road over the last two and a half years. Well, since it has been a while, I figured I would give you some updates on me, and some previews on the blog posts that you can expect to see for the rest of the quarter.


First, about me... I'm still in Carbondale, for now. I just accepted a position as a Sales Executive Manager at Macy's, here in Carbondale. I am responsibile for coaching 30 associates to drive sales, especially in the areas of women's and juniors clothing (my areas), within the store. I never thought that I would be a person who would love working a retail gig full time, but I have loved it so far. I have been able to use my previous work experience and my KD learning to help change the culture in the store. We are performing at a higher clip since I started, I am excited to say. I have been interesting selling women's clothing and shoes, especially given my previous knowledge, but it has been a ton of fun and learning. I have also lost more than 30 lbs, so life is just great overall!!


As for the career planning, I think that I have finally figured it out, at least for the time being. I am pretty much focused within the areas of Sales/Marketing and/or Training/Development. After working a decade in education, I have been fortunate to have developed a ton of talents, by using some of the Kelley GCS tools, I have realized that these are the areas that I fit the best. It's actually what led me to the position at Macy's, where I do a little of all of the areas. I also have to thank my classmates from the Kelley Direct week 2 years ago. I never would have thought of going down this road without their suggestion. I think that going forward, my career is going to be focused in these areas, which is exciting, to me at least.


Outside of that, my family is doing well! Jalen just turned 4 and started preschool, which has been awesome. It's kind of interesting to watch his passion for learning, it invigorates me at times to finish off the program strong. Gabby is 2 going on 16, which has also been fun - because she has actually taken an interest in some of the areas of that I have been studying, which is a true test of comprehension. If you want to test if you really know your material, try to explain it to a 2 year old, it's quite the experience. Finally, my wife, Steph, and I just started a new online business. We are selling hair accessories for women, which has been another fun application of my KD degree. We just opened for business this past month, and things are pretty well. Check us out - www.pocketfulofrosies.com!


As for the blogs to look for this coming quarter, first, I promise not to make you wait another three months for my next post. I am planning (and hoping) to get some thing posted every two weeks, or sooner. I figure since this is the end of my blogging and KD career, I want to go out strong! To give you a preview, here are a view topics that I will be covering:

· Adventures in Washington - My experience at the Washington Campus for Public Policy (a 3-4 part series)

· Adding to your Library - I wanted to give you a last few books to read, since I have found some great books that have been helpful for me.

· Guest bloggers - I am going to reach out to some of the great people I have met in the KD program, and see if they can give you their perspective on the experience.


Well, that's about it for now, KD. I hope that you are great, and until next time - catch you later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment