Wednesday 20 April 2011

A Global Perspective

I leave for India this Friday. And even better, I am going with a group of Kelley Direct students, faculty, and staff. I absolutely loved the two required in-residence weeks in Bloomington, and now I get to have an in-residence #3…but in a different country! I’m not quite sure what to expect, but I know it’s going to be amazing!


Kelley Direct has always been a global program in that it attracts students from all over the world, as well as integrates an international perspective into many of its classes. I have had some amazing learning experiences while interacting with classmates from India, China, Japan, and more through weekly discussion forums. But now KD is taking its global experience to a whole new level.


For this inaugural cross-cultural management class, I have spent the past 6 weeks in the KD virtual environment with 13 other students scattered throughout the country and world. Together we have explored the history of India, contemplated the effects of cultural differences on global teams, identified ways to become a more effective leader, and participated in weekly live class discussions to deepen our learning. Our professor even brought in a couple of guest speakers so that we could learn about India from an Indian and hear first-hand accounts of what it’s like to take on an expat assignment. These past 6 weeks have been enriching to say the least, and the trip to India will be our opportunity to put into practice everything we have learned up to this point.


I’ve never been to India, and I haven’t met the majority of my classmates face to face. Even so, I have absolutely no doubt that I am going to love the country and walk away with many new friends. I am ready to embark on a life-changing adventure (although I still have a lot of packing to do)!

No comments:

Post a Comment